Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

hello i was born in the usa... but lived overseas since i was

hello i was born in the usa... but lived overseas since i was 3 months old... i never lived in the usa. NOw i received a job proposal but when filing the forms there was written something about selective service system... something i was completely unaware of... i have never had a us driver license or us id card, i did not receive any letter or advise to register...my parents did not know about the requirement, they are not us citizens. how can i wirte my explanation?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for using Just Answer/Pearl. I'll do my best to answer your questions as completely and honestly as I can. Please note that I earn my living by helping customers like you, so once you've received your answer, I ask that you give me a positive rating for my customer service, so that I get credit for my work. Also please understand that the rating you give is not based on the outcome of your question, for which the law sometimes does not have a satisfactory solution. If you feel the need to use "poor service" or "bad service," please ask follow-up questions instead, so that I can try to help you further.

What is the exact question you are trying to answer? And what form are you filling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am a MD 29 years old, was born in usa but lived overseas since i was 3 months old. i got my us passport. I applied for residency in usa... i got matched and this program works also with a Veterans affair hospital and in the documentation they ask about registration with selective service system. The thing is i never registered cause I never lived in usa before, in the country i live now i did not receive any letter,documentation or advise to register. So as i read SSS said that a failure to register must be explained in detail in order to determine ther was or not knowing and willfull failure to register.

The only thing I can suggest to you is to explain why you did not register. You have to tell the truth. The whole point is to explain that you did not know that you had to register, and therefore could not have willfully of knowingly failed to do so.

I would think that living your entire life outside of the US since you were 3 months old is a valid reason and explanation for your failure to register.

I hope I have answered your questions. Keep in mind that I only get credit for my work if you rate me positively. If you're satisfied with my answer and my professionalism - not the outcome or the state of the law which I cannot control - please select a top-three rating. The bottom two negative ratings are reserved for Experts or professionals who are rude and/or bad at their job, and I'm confident you'll find me to always be professional and truthful with you.

A bonus is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you want me to answer questions in the future, you can write "FOR LONGHORN" at the beginning of your question, or go directly to my question page here: Ask Longhorn Lawyer

Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer, can i send you a brief example of what i wrote to have your feedback at least on my argument.?

I can take a look. But I am not your attorney and so I am not allowed to advise you about what exactly you should say. The only thing I can tell you is if I believe it sounds clear and understandable, or not. I also can say whether it sounds good or not, but I am not allowed to tell you exactly what to say and how to say it. That is for an attorney with whom you meet in person to help you with. This is for your protection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I understand and I agree. I am just telling the real story, sometimes the problem is not what to write but how you write. thank you!

I was born in Chicago, Illinois on December 15th 1983. During that time my parents were in the United States due to a course my father was doing at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As soon as it ended my father had to come back to Paraguay. So when I was 3 months old we left the United States and came to Paraguay, South America. Since then I have been living in Paraguay, country where I have permanent residency not just since my childhood but also during the time I was 18 to 26. I did my elementary school, high school and Medical School in Paraguay. I was unaware of the Selective Service System, I never became aware of it until I was filling out the paperwork for my residency, neither my parents know about the registration as they are not US citizens and they were never required to register. I did not receive any letter or information regarding the SSS nor any advice to register. I have no family living in the USA and was not exposed to a US school system where maybe the advice is given. I have never had a US driver license or a US ID card. Had I known about the requirement I would have certainly registered, as I am willing to bear arms and defend the US. Constitution without hesitation or delay.I honestly did not know about the selective service system. So please forgive my failure to register as it was not intentional and just from lack of knowledge.

All in all, I think this sounds good. I made a few adjustments for the purposes of clarity.

"I was born in Chicago, Illinois on December 15th 1983. During that time my parents were in the United States due to a course my father was doing at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As soon as it ended my father had to come back to Paraguay. So when I was 3 months old we left the United States and came to Paraguay, South America. Since then I have been living in Paraguay, country where I have permanent residency not just since my childhood but also during the time I was 18 to 26. I did my elementary school, high school and Medical School in Paraguay. LIving in Paraguay virtually all of my life, I was unaware of the requirement to register with the Selective Service System. I did not became aware of the requirement until I was filling out the paperwork for my residency, and my parents also never were aware of the requirement, as they are not US citizens and they were never required to register. I did not receive any letter or information regarding the SSS, nor any advice to register. I have no family living in the USA and was not exposed to a US school system where maybe the advice is given. I have never had a US driver license or a US ID card. Had I known about the requirement I would have certainly registered, as I am willing to bear arms and defend the US Constitution without hesitation or delay. I honestly did not know about the Selective Service requirement, and therefore could not have willfully or knowingly failed to register. My failure to register was not intentional, willful, or with knowledge. On the contrary - it was due to lack of knowledge of the requirement that I failed to register."

Thank you!

Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.