Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

hello my mother is 68 years of age she has had green card for

hello my mother is 68 years of age she has had green card for 16 years , can i apply for citizenship for her and get her to skip english test , as i applied for her before and she failed test and that was about 6 years ago, so now since she has been a resident for over 15 years she can skip english test but not civics is that correct

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Yes.

She would fall under the 55/15 exception.

English Language Exemptions

You Are Exempt From The English Language Requirement, But Are Still Required To Take The Civics Test If You Are:

• Age 50 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident (green card holder) in the United States for 20 years (commonly referred to as the "50/20" exception).
    OR
  • Age 55 or older at the time of filing for naturalization and have lived as a permanent resident in the United States for 15 years (commonly referred to as the "55/15" exception).

There is a place on the N-400 where she will ask to take the test in her native language.

Judith