Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.

My wife has residentcy in the US and would like to apply for

My wife has residentcy in the US and would like to apply for US citizenship. I am a US citizen born and raised in the USA. I am now disabled and and living in the Dominican Republic. If my wife applies for citizenship will she have to stay in the US until she gets her citizenship? in case I need her can she leave the US without jeopardizing her application for citizenship? Once I sell our home I will join her in the US.
Thank you for your question. How many years has your wife had residency in the United States?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Five years.

Thank you for your response. No, your wife would not be required to remain in the United States during the entire US citizenship application process and would not jeopardize assuming her citizenship application if she attends all of the scheduled USCIS appointment dates.

However, she is obligated to attend the biometrics(fingerprinting) as well as her citizenship interview, and oath. In some cases, the events can be scheduled thirty days or part or less so it is important that you at least have an attorney or representative available such that she does not miss any key appointment dates.