Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.

hi im portugese ilegal in this country i have 22 years old

hi im portugese ilegal in this country i have 22 years old and i got here 8 sep 2011 i clean houses for cash and need to be legal cause i want to go to school get my driver license and get a job so i can do my taxes. so my boyfriend is american but he's in college the question is if he marry me does he has to move in with me? will marrige bring any problems with college or familly or money?
should i marry him or wait till the new law come out? he doesnt have any problem about marry me but im afraid that his life can get harder after mariage cause of me :(! i need help i really wanna go to college please help me
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Would your marriage be only for immigration purposes that will allow you to obtain legal status?

It sounds as if the primary reason that you would marry at this time is for immigration benefits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i want to marry him because i love him but he's in school and we are afraid that he will have problems. what can he do for me

Thank you for your response. You could marry your boyfriend and your he could file then the I-130/I-485 Packet (Petition for Alien Relative). You could then adjust status in the United States without returning to Portugal because you initially entered the United States legally.

The entire process takes a little over a year and require that you take a Biometrics exam and that you and your wife be interviewed by a USCIS officer who will determine if you married for the purpose of obtaining permanent resident status. If approved, you would be issued a conditional permanent residence card because you would have been married less than two years.

The I-130/1-485 packet is found at the USCIS website at uscis.gov.
You and your future husband should file the following forms with supporting documents:

I-130-your husband's petition
I-485-green card application
I-765 -Work permit application
G-325A-biographic form for both of you
I-864-Affidavit of support

The marriage itself can be difficult without sufficient income but your boyfriend could obtain a joint sponsor, any lawful permanent resident or US citizen over the age of 18 with respect to your I-864 Affidavit of Support.

Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.