Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

I had my I-129F denied because I didnt provide evidence of

I had my I-129F denied because I didn't provide evidence of divorce from my first marriage. I had received a RFE with 3 paragrphs saying that my divorce nisi for my most-recent divorce was not sufficient. I supplied the divorce final but because I anticipated this possibility I didn't notice that they asked for proof of legal termination of TWO previous marriages. I had supplied proof of the termination of my first marriage to USCIS in 2005 when I married my second wife.

I am conflicted about whether I should abandon this petition or file for reopening. If I ask them to reopen will they deny again because my evidence of termination of my first marriage arrived after the RFE deadline? It appears, reading the relevant CFR that it might be worth the extra cost to appeal in this case, if they don't deny me on this technicality

Hello,my name is Judith. Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

If I am to understand you correctly you failed to submit required evidence and were denied because of that.

So if you file to re-open your divorce decrees that you failed to mail are not newly available evidence. You had access to those all along, correct?

What are you going to allege as the grounds for the appeal?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Judith,

Thanks for your help.

The grounds for my appeal would be that 1) the RFE mentioned the divorce nisi that I sent for my most-recent divorce was mentioned in 3 paragraphs as insufficient and no mention of my first marriage and 2) that this seemed reasonable since as noted in my I-129F, my second wife went through the K1 visa process successfully.

USCIS does not EVER look at old files! They are in storage underground in MO.

Now, look at this link page 2 #5D

If you appeal on the grounds that USCIS did not ask for the additional divorce records in the RFE you will probably loose because the instructions clearly tell you to submit

copies of documents showing that each of your prior marriages were legally terminated.

I would file a new I-129F. It is cheaper AND honestly it will take the same amount of time for a decision on the appeal as it will for adjudicating the new I-129F..

Please remember to rate
my service! If you feel unsatisfied with my service at all, please stop and
reply to me via the REPLY tab with the issue you have. I will be happy to
continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the EXCELLENT service you seek,
I earned a BONUS, it is appreciated.

Feel free to ask me another
question with a new thread - if you're a subscriber, you can do so at no
additional cost beyond your monthly payment. You can bookmark my profile page
here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime:

If you want to
request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer

The information
provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to
create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for
informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such
information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By
accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain
appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an
attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue
arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises
or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information
contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably
waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege
concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much Judith. Your advice was very informative and useful (actionable).

You are welcome.

Please remember to give me a rating of 3 or higher - I strive for excellent - so that your deposit can be released and I get credit (paid) for my answer.

All the best.

If you run into future issues you can begin your question thread with "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer it for you - like having your own personal lawyer.