Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
46665915

I came a year ago to the US with F-1 visa and went to Language

I came a year ago to the US with F-1 visa and went to Language school, before my visa expired I enrolled to the College as a full-time student. But a few days ago I found out that I'm pregnant and a father of my child is a permanent resident. Right now due to the circumstances I changed my mind going to the college while I'm pregnant. If I marry my boyfriend, a permanent resident, would I get covered or be able to apply for Green Card? And if I won't go to college would I lose my status and would I have any problems with Immigration?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience....how long has your boyfriend had his green card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you.

My boyfriend became a resident through the marriage to a US citizen in 04/02/09.

so he has to wait 2 more years to become a u.s. citizen (I assume he is divorced from the wife he got his green card through). That being said to answer your questions: If I marry my boyfriend, a permanent resident, would I get covered or be able to apply for Green Card? No. You cannot get a green card unless he is a u.s. citizen. Otherwise you have to wait over 2 years for a green card based on marriage to a green card holder and would have to stay in school and in status until you got the green card.

And if I won't go to college would I lose my status and would I have any problems with Immigration? Yes, you would lose your status. Whether immigration would try to deport you is not a guarantee. If you fall out of status and were to remain here without immigration trying to remove you, once you are married your husband could petition for you when he becomes a u.s. citizen and your time out of status would be forgiven. Your time out of status would not be forgiven unless he is a u.s. citizen. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked. Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas