Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Im a U.S. citizen and my girlfriend is an illegal immigrant

Customer Question

I'm a U.S. citizen and my girlfriend is an illegal immigrant from Mexico. First off let me give u the background story. My girlfriend entered the United States her on a visitors visa at the age of 9yrs her father brought her and her family over legally. After that 6 month period she has been living here in the US for 11 years now and she is upon completion of here nursing degree at our local community college. I plan to marry my girlfriend after her schooling and I was wanting to know if I marry her could her resident status be changed or will she have to be deported back to Mexico? Please help because I really love her. Also a side note we have been together for 3.5 years now.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
As long as she entered the U.S. legally and can prove it, everything should work out if your marriage is real. After you marry, you will need to file the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), G-325a (Biographic data - one for each of you), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov/forms.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your U.S. Citizenship, proof of your spouse's legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents to prove your income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, she should get a work permit. About 5 to 7 months after filing you should get a marriage interview. If all goes well, a few weeks later she should get a Residency status (green card). Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them for you without additional charge. My goal is to provide you with top-notch service - please don't forget to leave me feedback if that is available for you to do so and a bonus is always appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future, just go to http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-guillermosenmartin/. Thank you!

Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you do much that helps. Another question this should work even if is visa is expired
Yes, absolutely. Even if she had been here 50+ years out of status!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much your a life saver
You are very welcome. Good luck to you!