Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

1. My H1B expired April 1, 2012 and I have exhausted my 6 years. 2.

1. My H1B expired April 1, 2012 and I have exhausted my 6 years.
2. I filed I-140 NIW in October 2011, Filed I-485 in January 2012 and got EAD valid Feb 2012-Feb 2013.
3. My wife and kids are also on EAD
4. My I-140 NIW denied April, 2012 and last day to send MTR/Appeal is May 23, 2012
5. I-485 shows still pending.
6. My employer will file labor certification June 18 with Department of Labor
Question: What are my options to remain in status?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm happy to answer your immigration questions, and will do my best to do so based on my expertise. Please note that while you are working with me, I also will be working with several other customers, so you may experience delays. Your questions WILL be answered in the order they are received; therefore, please be patient as we work through your questions.

QUESTION: What are my options to remain in status?

ANSWER: Unfortunately, you already are out of status, when your H1B status expired. Yes, you filed the I-140 and the I-485 prior to the end of your H1B status, but you are not in any valid status now. You are in what is called authorized stay, where you are authorized stay until a final decision is made on your petition and application.

So the only option at this point is to await the answer of the appeal. You cannot change your status to any other status, since your previous status has already expired.

Note that you cannot get any extension past 6 years on the H1B, unless you have a PERM pending for 365 days or more, or you have an approved I-140. So you are not eligible for an extension of the H1B past the 6th year. Furthermore, even if you were, you've already fallen out of status and therefore you have no status from which to extend.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please click one of five faces to let me know how I've helped. This is the only way I will know if the information I've provided has been helpful, or if you need further clarification.

Keep in mind that we Experts are here to provide you with the most honest, accurate, and truthful information that we have available, even if it is not what you want to hear. If you need clarification, please do not leave negative feedback. Instead, please feel free to ask follow-up questions, and I will be happy to clarify things for you.

Also consider leaving a BONUS and some positive feedback - both are much appreciated.

Finally, if you have any future immigration or TSA related questions, put "TO LONGHORN LAWYER" in the subject line or the beginning of the question, or go directly to my profile to ask your questions: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-longhornlawyer

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reference item 6 on my brief, will USCIS accept my I-140 if the labor certification is approved by DOL, say in July/August and the MTR/Appeal is still pending on the NIW I-140?

And, can I use my EAD now?
Yes, the I-140 will be accepted by the USCIS, unless it is somehow deficient. But I have no way of knowing this information. Note that the I-140 does not give you any status int he US, so it will not keep you safe in the US. All it does is categorize you as an immigrant, rather than a non-immigrant. But it's approval alone does not give you any status, nor will it allow you to get an extension of the H1B at this point. It has to be approved in order for you to extend, and if there is no status from which to extend, then even the approved I-140 will not help you at this point.

Yes, you are permitted to use the EAD until a decision is made on your I-485. If you receive a denial on the I-485, then your EAD also is no longer valid.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The I-140(EB2)stated in my Item 6 will be based on a labor certification approval which we hope to get in July/August. I am done with H1B, so we are not even going that route.

We plan to file the I-140 (EB2) in July/August on premium processing.

My worry was whether or not the I-140 will be accepted by USCIS while my present I-140 case is pending.

I also understand that should the I-485 be denied, I can refile?

If my labor certification and I-140 (EB2) are successful, and i refile I-485, do you see any other obstructions?

I have no more questions and will close after accepting your pending answers.
QUESTION: My worry was whether or not the I-140 will be accepted by USCIS while my present I-140 case is pending.
ANSWER: You are allowed to have multiple I-140's pending at the same time.

QUESTION: I also understand that should the I-485 be denied, I can refile?
ANSWER: You are out of status, so you have no status from which to adjust if you refile.

QUESTION: If my labor certification and I-140 (EB2) are successful, and i refile I-485, do you see any other obstructions?
ANSWER: The only obstruction I see is the one I mention above. Remember, neither a labor certification nor an approved I-140 give you status in the US from which to adjust, and your previous status expired already.

Thank you!
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.