Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

If I married an illegal immigrant and want a divorce, but they

If I married an illegal immigrant and want a divorce, but they refuse, what can I do?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Excuse the simple and direct question, but why don't you file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was under the impression that an uncontested divorce would be cheaper and easier for her. I also thought that it would cause less problems for her if she was the one to file. Are these assumptions incorrect?
Most of the assumptions are wrong. It would be cheaper and easier if it was uncontested, but it seems that you cannot come to an agreement. So you should just file and ask what you are going to ask for and negotiate before the judge. If you don't want anything, that's fine. If she wants something, then like I said, you will have to negociate that and the family court judge will make a final ruling. Also, family court doesn't normally report anything to ICE, so risk of deportation is very low. ICE doesn't have the resources to deport everyone that is deportable, so they are focused on those that have crimes in their background. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them for you without additional charge, if not, please do not forget to click ACCEPT. I am not paid a salary. Clicking accept is the only way that I can get paid for helping you. When you click accept, you are not charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. If there is a delay in getting back to you it is either because I am answering other questions or I had to log off, but I will be back with you as soon as possible. If you would like to request me in the future, just put my name on the subject line. Positive feedback for my service to you (not the state of the law as it is) is always appreciated as well as any bonus if you think I deserve it. Thank you.
Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.