Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

My husband wants to petition my parents in the

My husband wants to petition my parents in the question is how long will it take in order to get them...and what kind of application do we need and how much is the cost? Thank u
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Petition in what sense? Just to come visit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Come to visit or living here in US
To come live in the U.S., he cannot petition for them. You have to become a U.S. Citizen and then you can petition for them. To visit, they have to petition on their own.

You can look at the link below for all the information that you need on the visitor visa:

Essentially, they must have a valid reason for visiting, must have a way to support themselves without working illegally, must have significant ties to their home country, and must have the intent to return home.

A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why they are coming to the U.S., how much time they will need and that perhaps they will have a place to stay so that they do not have to spend money. Usually you want to show that they are going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. So your letter should state why you are inviting them and that you will provide room and board while they are here visiting. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S., the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country.

Now as to some of the ties, they will need to show that they have significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that they have had for awhile that they would not normally abandon.

So if they old and retired or close to retiring, and without much money or any property or a good job, they would probably be denied. Immigration would see them as a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them.

I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them for you without additional charge, if not, please do not forget to click ACCEPT. That is the only way that I can get paid a small percentage of your deposit. If you do not click accept, the website gets all of your deposit and I get nothing. When you click accept, you are not charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. If you would like to request me in the future, just put my name on the subject line. Positive feedback for my service to you (not the state of the law as it is) is always appreciated as well as any bonus if you think I deserve it. Thank you.