Wilton A. Person
Wilton A. Person, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
29360852

How Long Does It Take To Renew A Green Card?

How much time does the process of renewal of green card take after applying? Also in how many days do we get a call for finger prints?

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Wilton A. Person replied 4 years ago.

The processing time for the I-90 green card renewal generally takes about 3 to 6 months and the average processing time is about 3.5 months for most service centers. The biometrics interview is usually scheduled within the first five to eight weeks after the I-90 application is reviewed.

However, the processing times are estimates and your processing time could be substantial longer or shorter.

Please find a USCIS link that dislplays the average processing times based on the specific service centers:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplay.do

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it possible for me to exit the country after applying for renewal of green card and while it is in process?

Yes, but you would need to have a I-551 stamp in your passport as proof that you are a lawful permanent resident. In order to obtain the stamp, you would need to schedule an appointment at your local USCIS office using Infopass.

Please find the link below:

http://infopass.uscis.gov/