Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.

Canada-USA Employment Question. Subject: Canadian Citizen

Canada-USA Employment Question. 
Subject: Canadian Citizen wants to do telecommute job, from Canada, for a private USA company which does not have office in Canada.

Details: 

========

I am a Canadian Citizen, residing Vancouver, Canada. I am experienced IT Professional. An American company in Chicago, which does not have office in Canada, wants to hire me FULL time basis. The company will allow me work from my home from Canada using internet connection. 

Question: 

========= 

1. Can a Canadian citizen work from Canada by telecommuting to a US company based in USA which does not have office in Canada?

2. Do I need any kind of visa (say TN) for telecommute work from Canada for USA company? 

3. Do I need to have a US Social Security Number, US bank account etc to get my payment?

4. How the company will pay me if I am full time employee for the company but resides in Canada? 

5. In case if I need a TN visa, can I stay in Canada without going to USA and work for the company? 

6. For the tax purpose, am I filing my main tax as Canadian resident or US resident even though the company is in USA but I only work from Canada? 

7. If full time does not an option, can I ask for contract option and still work from my home from Canada? I have something called Sole proprietorship in Canada?

* what is the the easiest way for  a Canadian citizen do telecommute IT job, from Canada, for a US employer which does not have office in Canada? 

* We tried few options like working through a company named PeoCanada, that manages payroll and benefits for Canadian employee of US company, they are a bit expensive if only one or two employee works from Canada. Do you have other suggestios?

*What are the tax implication? 

*What needs to be done on employer side like what are the paper works for telecommuting workes needs to have?

*Can the employee apply for TN visa and then w/o going to USA stay in Canada and work from canada? 

*For TN how to write the job offer letter? 

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 2 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

I will address each of these questions individually. However, I do not see this as being employed in the US because you are not physically present in the US. Telecommuting is not being employed in the US for immigration purposes. Your body, your person has to be physically present in the US for you to be considered to be employed in the US.

In this case, you are not working within the US by using an electronic communications.

Yes, your work place would be your home.

No because you are not working in the US.

I would imagine you have say banks such as Chase, Citibank, Bank of America, etc branches in Canada and you could probably set up an account there and have your pay through automatic deposits.

You will need to check with the banks there in Canada. Or the paycheck can just be snail mailed to you in Canada.

They could pay you as an independant contractor without benefits.

You cannot get a US SSN because you are not working in the US.

A TN status is only to work in the US by being physically present. You are not working in the US.

You will need to ask that question of a tax expert.

Absolutely, that would be the best arrangement for you to be an independant contractor and have the contract through your sole proprietorship.

That way you are totally responsible for your taxes in Canada.

* what is the the easiest way for a Canadian citizen do telecommute IT job, from Canada, for a US employer which does not have office in Canada?
As an independent contractor and not as an employee.

No, see above.

*What are the tax implication?
You need to contact a tax expert and post that question on the tax forum.

A contract.

NO, you need to be physically present in the US to be working on a TN. The law requires you to be admitted into the US.

Letter of Employment in the U.S. Additionally, the applicant's employer in the U.S. must provide an employment letter that includes the following:

• The letter must indicate that the position in question in the U.S. requires the employment of a person in a professional capacity, consistent with the NAFTA Chapter 16, Annex 1603, Appendix 1603.d.1.
  • The applicant must present evidence of professional employment to satisfy the Consular Officer of your plans to be employed in prearranged business activities for a U.S. employer(s) or entity(ies) at a professional level. Part-time employment is permitted. Self-employment is not permitted. An employment letter or contract providing a detailed description of the business activities may be provided from the U.S. or foreign employer, and should state the following:
  • Activity in which the applicant shall be engaged and purpose of entry;
  • Anticipated length of stay;
  • Educational qualifications or appropriate credentials demonstrating professional status;
  • Evidence of compliance with DHS regulations, and/or state laws; and
  • Arrangements for pay.
  • Although not required, proof of licensure to practice a given profession in the U.S. may be offered along with a job offer letter, or other documentation in support of a TN visa application.
  • http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1274.html#6

Judith

Please feel free to ask me another question with a new thread - if you're a subscriber, you can do so at no additional cost beyond your monthly payment. Please bookmark my profile page here so you can come back and ask me a question anytime: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-askimmigrationlaw/

If I answered your question and you agree with the below, please click ACCEPT & leave positive feedback.

I am happy to answer follow-up questions for you at no additional cost.

If you want to request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer quickly.

The information provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. The information given by me is for informational/research use only and you are paying me only for such information. The information contained herewith is not legal advice. By accepting you agree you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Expert,

Thanks for your help. I have a follow up question. As you mentioned, contract is the best way to go for a Canadian who wants to work from his home in Canada for a US employer, when employer not have office in Canada.

I would like to know which IRS W form Canadian employee needs to fill up for this purpose ... is it form W-9?

Thanks
Expert:  Judith replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry, I am not a tax expert and cannot answer that.

You will need to post that question as a new thread on the Tax Expert category.

Judith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the prompt reply Judith. No, I am not asking task question.
As part of agreement, employee needs to sign up some papers before employment takes place. So my employer sends me W9, but it has some information which does not relevant to Canadian context. So I was just checking do you know which form it should be.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

Thanks though.
Expert:  Judith replied 2 years ago.

That is an IRS question which is a tax question. It has nothing to do with immigration law. Tax forms are under the expertise of the tax expert and the W-9 is a tax form

I'm sorry.

Judith