Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I live in Colorado and I want to marry a woman from Ukraine!

Customer Question

I live in Colorado and I want to marry a woman from Ukraine! What do I need to do?
Submitted: 5 years ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 5 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Have you met her yet in person?

Judith

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no! She is planning to come visit me around the middle of November. I searching for information on what documents and what steps we will need to take if we decide on marriage.

All she needs to have is her passport to be able to get married here.

She cannot enter the US on a visitor visa with the intnet to marry. That is fraud.

She and you need to wait at least 90 days to apply for the marriage license.

Just a word of caution. It is usually very difficult for single women to get a visitor visa. Sometimes women you meet on the internet start up a romance and tell you things that may not be truthful. Then ask you for the money for plane tickets, etc when they really don't have a visa to come here.

I get many customers on JA who tell me things and just a word of warning, don't go sending money to her just yet if you are asked.

Judith

I am happy to answer follow-up questions for you at no additional cost.

If you want to request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer quickly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will we need to wait 90 days after she visits me? Will she need to go back to Ukraine then come back after the 90 days to apply for the license?

You need to wait 90 days into her visit to get married. They she can stay here while you and she file all the papers to get her resident status.

It is very complicated and you will want to hire a lawyer to do that.

Judith

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is only going to visit for two weeks! Will she need to come back then wait 90 days into her visit to file for a license? What is the fiance visa?

Well then, you will have to file the K1 visa petition for a fiance visa.

It will take about 8-10 months.

Here is a link that gives you a step by step flow chart of the process and the amount of time for each step.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Judith