Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
46665915

shoplifting effects when become citizen

Customer Question

I asked about shoplifting before, check in my record to see what I was asking on justanswer. I want to ask does it affect me when I want to become a citizen here? I am ling in Texas.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience....what year and month was that? when do you plan to apply for citizenship??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I do not know whether you can see my questions on justanswer with another lawyer before. I was caught shoplifting on August,2011. I asked them that is it affect my social record? they said no, only on Walmart's record. They explained that the value of item what was stolen more than $50, so I have to go to jail. They called police but the police did come so they let me leave. Before I left, I asked them again so no effect on my social record when I aplly for a job in the future? they said no.

After that 2 weeks, I received a letter require that I gotto pay the fine $200. I paid.

I have been here 2 and a half year, and I can aplly for citizenship on 2014 ( I came to America on 2009).

Does shoplifting effect me in the future? what will it effect me?

Actually, I could see it if necessary but i didn't need all of that history, just the date this occurred and when you plan to apply for citizenship. it's a petty theft and as long as you have no criminal conviction for the theft it will not affect your immigration application. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is criminal conviction for the theft ?
One lawyer told me that shoplifting will effect when I apply for citizenship and I might be kicked back to my country.
it means you were charged with a crime and convicted by the criminal court. you stated at no time were you arrested and that you had not gone to court and you paid to settle the amount with the company. so again if there is no criminal court involved, there was no criminal charge so it would not affect you. also, you would never be kicked out of the country for a $50 theft. Also, I cannot get into a back and forth about what another attorney said. I can only give my opinion, the rest is up to you. Thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I don't know the law that's why I want to talk to a lawyer and Georgetown Lawyer does not really want to help me. She does not explain clearly.