Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am Canadian, my husband is a U.S. citizen. We live in Canada

I am Canadian, my husband is a U.S. citizen. We live in Canada (he has Permanent Residency). We want to move to the U.S. What steps should we take to aquire a green card for me?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer, my name isXXXXX you for this opportunity to answer your questions.

Will your husband have a source of income in the US?

Judith

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, he has his pension and social security. I have my own $'s and am able to support myself (he's 77, I'm 69).
Expert:  Judith replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

He would file an I-130 petition for you. It will take approx 3-5 months for it's approval. Then you will begin the immigrant visa processing which will take 3-5 months.

He will have to submit an Affidavit of Support insuring the government that you will not become a public charge. You may also inculde your own assets as evidence of ability to not take means tested benefits paid for by the government.

Judith

I am happy to answer follow-up questions for you at no additional cost.

If you want to request me in the future start your question "FOR JUDITH" and I will answer quickly.

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Judith, thanks for your reply.

Will I have to stay in Canada once the the I-130 petition has been approved or can I still go back and forth to the U.S. as a visitor (we have Nexus)? We usually go to Yuma for four months during the winter.

Expert:  Judith replied 3 years ago.

Once the I-130 is filed you are considered an intending immigrant and you will need to show evidence of your intent to return, such as your maintaining your residence in Canada, utility bills, auto registration and insurance there in Canada and your bank accounts.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer