How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Juliana Your Own Question
Juliana, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1651
Experience:  20+ years as a lawyer and small claims magistrate
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Juliana is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can card holder receive financial aid or U.S.A student loans

Resolved Question:

Can Green card holder receive financial aid or U.S.A student loans
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Juliana replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

According to the NAFSA website for Permanent Residents

green card holders are eligible to apply for federal financial aid. Here is pertinent information from that website:

"U.S. citizens and nationals, lawful permanent residents, and refugees and asylees qualify for federal financial aid in the form of loans, grants, or work-study opportunities. There are a few additional categories that may qualify as well. As a general rule, students in a nonimmigrant category are not eligible for such aid. The U.S. Department of Education publishes a handbook with information for financial aid professionals; addresses eligibility for international students and includes fairly detailed descriptions of the statuses that do and do not qualify for federal financial aid.

If you are a permanent resident, you can apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). As a permanent resident, you may qualify for federal and state government aid, including the Stafford Loan, Perkins Loan, PLUS Loan, Pell Grant, SEOG Grant, or Federal Work-Study. The FAFSA form also helps colleges and universities determine whether a student qualifies for institutional aid."

Hope this helps.


Juliana and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Immigration Law Questions