Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Can you be American citizen with conviction of misdemeanor

Can you be American citizen with conviction of misdemeanor battery?

When were you convicted? When did you finish any time on probation?

Was it a domestic problem like domestic violence?

How much time, if any, were you sentenced to?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was last year and I'm done with my probation. And it was a fight with some one in a bar. I went to jail for one day until I get bailed out. Means I never sentenced.

Ok, that is not exactly what it means. As long as you were not sentenced to one year or more, then you are not deportable which is good. But unfortunately, you will need to wait at least 5 years from the date of the end of your probation before applying for U.S. Citizenship. Sure, you can apply now, but the chances of you being denied are very high. Even 5 years after your probation ends, you will still have to provide certified copies of the police report and court disposition and you should provide good moral character letters from friends, neighbors, co-workers, bosses, family, etc. to prove that you have good moral character. That would give you the best chance of success. But if you applied now, your chances of being denied are very high. I am truly sorry. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to answer them for you without additional charge, if not, please do not forget to click ACCEPT. That is the only way that I can get paid a small percentage of your deposit. If you do not click accept, the website gets all of your deposit and I get nothing. When you click accept, you are not charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. If you would like to request me in the future, just put my name on the subject line. Positive feedback for my service to you (not the state of the law as it is) is always appreciated as well as any bonus if you think I deserve it. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think I will be able to renew my green card? Because my 10 years green card will expire this year

Because you were not sentenced to 1 year or more, you are not deportable, so you should be able to renew it, but they will want to see the certified copies of the police report and court dispositions when you renew.