Georgetown Lawyer
Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas
46665915

I am already in removal proceedings in immigration court, but

I am already in removal proceedings in immigration court, but I was told I needed to file my I-485 with USCIS before the court had jurisdiction over it. In October, I filed my I-485 with USCIS in Chicago, and I siumulaneously filed my I-765 employment authorization petition. I have just received a denial notice for both my I-485 and my I-765. I now understand that both forms should have been filed in Texas, not Chicago. But I also understand that immigration court has ultimate jurisdiction, so the denial of my I-485 shouldn't, in theory, affect my petition to adjust status. What I want to know is whether I need to refile my I-485 in Texas in order for it to be reviewed in the immigration court. Further, how do I go about reviving my I-765 since I need to work in the meantime?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Georgetown Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. If there is a delay in my reply, I am helping others but WILL reply to you asap. Thanks for your patience....you are representing yourself in removal proceedings?? did you not receive instructions from the government attorney on how and where to file the I-485? or have you not had a hearing in court yet?? did the judge give you a filing deadline??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had a hearing, but, no, the government attorney did not provide filing instructions for my I-485. The judge has not set a filing deadline.
Then that explains a lot. when you are adjusting status in removal proceedings you cannot file the I-485 until the judge instructs you to do so. once the judge gives the deadline to file, the government attorney will give you the filing instructions for you to follow. the service center has no jurisdiction over your case at this point. In addition, you cannot get work authorization until you can file the I485 as I'm sure you are aware. So you have to wait to be told to file the I485, there is nothing you can do i the mean time. I hope that clarifies.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive a small part of the deposit as credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work) or else the web site keeps the entire deposit and I receive nothing . Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood your question. The judge did instruct me to file the 485 in my last hearing. I simply did not receive filing instructions from the government attorney so I was left to my own devices to figure out how/where to file. The judge explicitly instructed me to file the 485 at my last hearing in October. Please advise based on that knowledge.
what deadline did the judge give you??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a date back in October of last year.

I'm sorry but this is not adding up. the judge told you to file the I485 last October and you got no filing instructions from the government? also, when is your final/individual hearing? why are you being deported?? what is your basis for adjustment of status??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the government attorney did not provide filing instructions--it was an oversight on her part. My final/master hearing is in September of this year. My basis to adjust status is based on the approval of my wife's relative immigrant visa petition. She is an American citizen.

you didn't say why you are being deported?? also, did you go to get fingerprinted already??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am being deported based on an arrest for petit larceny. And, yes, I've been fingerprinted.

to be finger printed the government attorney had to give you instructions, the same time they gave filing instructions for the I485, is it possible you misplaced the instructions??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think so. I think I obtained the fingerprint/biometrics appointment out of turn. At one of my hearings, I explained to the judge that I wasn't able to file a 485 yet, so he told me I should at least get my biometrics appointment taken care of. So I did. By the next hearing, I was supposed to be ready to file the 485. I brought theXXXXX complete with my receipt of payment for the biometrics appointment I already submitted to, and the judge said I needed to file it with USCIS before filing it in court. At that time, I filed it with the Chicago USCIS deposit office, based on filing instructions obtained from the USCIS website. I was completely unaware that the government attorney was supposed to give me different filing instructions at my last hearing.
ok, thanks. you have a mess on your hands. If you fail to file the I485 by the october deadline the judge gave you, you have abandoned your application for relief. you can either go to court and wait until hearings are done and see the judge/government attorney to ask for the instructions or wait until your hearing to explain you were never given the instructions. alternatively, you can file a motion for continuance of the final hearing and in the motion explain that you were never given filing instructions to file the I-485 by the government attorney. it is their responsibility to provide you with instructions and you need to get them. so those are the options at this point. obviously there is no work authorization to be had at this point because you cannot file the I485 without the instructions from the government attorney. I hope this helps clarify.

Georgetown Lawyer, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 10+ years of Immigration Experience in All Areas A-Z complex immigration cases & issues in all areas