Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.
23431962

I entered the US with a border crossing card over 10 years

I entered the US with a border crossing card over 10 years ago, but was never issued a I-94 card. I want to apply for adjustment of status thru my husband, but I need proof that I entered legally. How do I get proof that I once possessed a border crossing card?
Submitted: 3 years ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome!

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Please allow me some time to review your question and prepare an answer to your question.

So do I understand correctly that you have neither your border crossing card nor an I-94?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was never given an I-94 card, but I did have a border crossing card when I crossed with my parents. I subsequently lost my card, but I need proof to apply for adjustment of status.
I see you have already contacted the US Department of State. Allow me some time to look into this for you. You are from Mexico, correct? And you entered through Mexico as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I'm from Mexico and I entered the US through Presidio, Texas.
Do you still have the same passport that you used when you entered the US? And if so, have you checked inside the passport to determine if there is any information about your entry?
Is your visa still valid? Or has it expired?
And did you do a FOIA request with the USCIS?

Edited by carne75 on 12/29/2010 at 10:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The visa has expired. I filed an I-102 with USCIS but they were not able to find a record of my entry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have a passport.
I'm afraid you have an uphill battle for you. With no passport to show your citizenship and a visa stamp, and no other proof of legal entry, your last resort is to try to contact the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office in Presidio, directly.

Here is the contact information:

Location Address:

Border Station Highway 67
PO Box 1959
Presidio, TX 79845

Mailing Address:

PO Box 1959
Presidio, TX 79845

General Phone(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

General Fax(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Also, I suggest getting your Mexico Passport as soon as possible. This is something that should not be overlooked or ignored.

I hope this information helps. Please click on the "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for helping you. If you feel I deserve a Bonus, it is greatly appreciated, and you can add a Bonus. If, after you have clicked "ACCEPT," you have additional questions about this specific issue, feel free to ask at no additional cost.

Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of immigration and nationality law.