Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  My law firm practices immigration law.
635143

I would like to sponsor a 23 year old student from Jamaica

I would like to sponsor a 23 year old student from Jamaica what forms must I use or how do I begin?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 3 years ago.

Law Girl :

What is your relation to this student?

Customer:

No relation. My daughter was an exchange student and became friends with her.

Law Girl :

You mention that she has a visa, is that a student visa?

Customer:

I will need to leave for work soon will you send an answer vie my e-mail. or how will I get back with you?

Customer:

No it was a work visa

Law Girl :

Is it no longer valid? If she has a visa, I am trying to understand why she requires a different sponsor.

Customer:

Different location and was only summer months

Law Girl :

An e-mail will be posted to the site. You will receive an e-mail notification letting you know when one is posted.

Law Girl :

If she has a limited work visa, then she may consider a school visa. In order for her to obtain a student visa she will need to fill out the following forms:

Law Girl :

(1) Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students. The school will provde a SEVIS generated Form, I-20. Both the student and the school official must sign the I-20 form.

(2) An online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160.

(3) A passport valid for travel to the United States generally with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States.

(4) One (1) 2x2 photograph.

(5) A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee.

(6) The SEVIS I-901 fee receipt.

(7) Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;

(8) Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;

(9) You may be able to provide financial evidence that shows there are sufficient funds available to cover her tuition and living expenses during the period of her intended study.

Law Girl :

Forms area available from the forms section of www.uscis.gov.

Customer:

Thank you have a great day.will this also be sent to my e-mail?

Law Girl :

Your best bet is to print a copy. Although I believe a link to the question will be provided in e-mail.

Law Girl :

Please remember to hit "ACCEPT".

Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience: My law firm practices immigration law.