Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  My law firm practices immigration law.

please i wanna ask you something..i make the very big mistake

Customer Question

please i wanna ask you something..i make the very big mistake i stole something from macys and thay catch me i end up in police and i give fingerprints and the worst is i going to apply for green card this mount do i gonna lose my green cart or i never can apply for green card..i have court know for that stupid mistake and i'm so scare to lose my interview and my green card..please tell me what i have to do..am going on court on 15 november gonna take some lawyer to help me but still that is gonna be in my record..please help me
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Shoplifting is not the type of offense that on its face prevents one from obtaining a green card. However, the offense will have to be disclosed and the immigration officials can look at this as a crime of moral turpitude. In reviewing the charge, they will look at what happened, how much was taken and the ultimate disposition of the case. As long as you are not sentenced to a year or more of prison time, this charge (although not favorable) will not be a strict bar to your obtaining a green card.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience: My law firm practices immigration law.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i didn't got the answer clearly......do you wannna tell me is not gonna be a problem for getting my green cart..i dont have any record acept this one i never ben in jeal i always pay my tax my bills my ticet i mean i never brake any rule in the country ...so i still have chance to alpply for green card
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Law Girl replied 3 years ago.
You still have a chance. Since whether your application is approved is left to the discretion of the immigration authorities, there are no guarantees as to whether this will make the process more difficult for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my husband dosn't know yet..if i dont tell him did he is gonna find out for this...and when i talk to my immigration lawyar he ask me do i have any crime i dont have at the time this just happen last night so do i have to told him i did something criminal or do i have to send the police report together with my aplication..am so scare when i have to go to do the fingerprints for immigration they gonna know what i did...can you please please give me the best advaice what i have to do please
Expert:  Law Girl replied 3 years ago.
I cannot advise you on what to do with your husband. However, as your arrest and upcoming hearing will be public record, there are a number of ways he could find out.

When you speak to your immigration attorney, you want to tell them everything about you including this. Even if it just happened let them know, so they can advise you the best way they can. If you have a copy of the police report, that may be helpful to your attorney while the disposition of the criminal case is pending.

Good Luck!