Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  My law firm practices immigration law.
635143

Im a Disabled American Vet and wish to marry a native of the

I'm a Disabled American Vet and wish to marry a native of the phillipines. Is it a requirement to show and or have a job to have her immigrate to the U.S. as my wife ?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

No, a job is not a requirement. However, you do have to show that your income and means are above the poverty standard in terms of being able to financially support the immigration of your wife. To the extent that cannot make this showing, you are able to have a co-sponsor.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am being supported right now by my mother until SSI is approved. So my mother could be a " co sponser "? I and just dont want to marry and find out that it wouldnt be possible for her entry as my wife. I have health issues right now that prevent me from working at this point.

Expert:  Law Girl replied 3 years ago.
If your mother is willing to take on the financial responsibility of co-sponsoring and she meets the criteria, then she can be a co-sponsor.
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience: My law firm practices immigration law.