Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Ok on my husbands paper work it says class SA1 what does that

Ok on my husbands paper work it says class SA1 what does that mean
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

There is no classification S "A" 1. Are you sure it is an "A"???

What is his occupation?

How did he get his immigrant status?

Judith

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he came to the us in 1967 from cuba through spain in his green card from that time it says under class SA1 i am try to get his I 131 app filled out and dont know what to put on class of admission question  he is perment resident this has nothing to do with work
Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

Enter "LPR - SA1"

That means Lawful Permanent Resident and the SA1 would be the class on his card. That may have been a classification back in the 60s.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

Did he ever renew his original card?

If it was issued in 1967 ger was required to renew his card back in the early 80s.

Judith

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok just to be clear class of admission does not pertain to how you first came to us so we should put what he is now a LPR or lawful permanent resident I just want to make sure i do this correctly yes he has always renewed his card he has a 10 year one now we are both going to become citizen this year but need to go on a trip before
Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

Class of admission would be the last action taken by CIS to either admit the person or adjust the person.

If he has a 10 year card and intends to apply for natz why is he filing an I-131? Does he plan on being out of the US for up to 2 years? If he is out for more than 6 months he will not be eligible for natz for 4 years 1 month.

Judith

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we can not get passport from cuba and uscis says we must have I 131 to travel I know it makes no sense but they are so difficult to deal with and never realy give you answer just refer you to web site when i first went to renew his green card they gave me wrong info and i was out those fee they dont give refunds so that is why i an trying to be very careful
Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I understand, he has to apply for the travel document using the I-131. You are doing the correct thing,

I understand your fustration with the process. Once you become citizens it will make it easier.

Judith

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so i should put LPR-SA1
Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

Yes, that is correct.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.