Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

i am a US citizen,how much will it cost to petition my wife,

i am a US citizen,how much will it cost to petition my wife, she is out of status when we get married. what forms do i need to file?
Submitted: 7 years ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If she entered on a visa that allows adjustment of status (like a B2 tourist visa), then she will need to file the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for travel permit), G-325a (Biographic data - four for each of you), I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov. It's $355 for the I-130 and $1010 for the I-485. Everything else is included or does not have a fee.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your U.S. Citizenship, proof of his legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents of yours to prove your income over the last year at least.

In about 2 to 4 months after filing, she should get a work permit. About 5 to 7 months after filing, you should get a marriage interview. If all goes well there, she should get a green card in the mail a few weeks later.

Edited by Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. on 3/19/2010 at 12:47 PM EST