Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I have an old green card that does not have an expiration date.

I have an old green card that does not have an expiration date. Two years ago when I came back into the states from Canada, I was told that I needed to replace this card and they made it seem important.
I have not yet replaced it, and now I plan to get married within the next couple of years.
Can I wait to replace this card until I have a name change so as not to have to pay twice?
Also, if I hyphenate my last name (maiden-husband's) would that show that I am the person who had the maiden name shown on my old card?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

Yes you can. You do not have to replace a resident alien card if it has no expiration date and was not issued before your 14th birthday.

The Customs were urging you to replace your card because the old cards are not tamper proof and if it was lost or stolen, someone could substitute a photo on it relatively easily.

The new cards have digital pictures, magnetic strips, and are technically far less able to be tampered with.

However, a new card has to be renewed every 10 years and it is nearly $400 in filing fee.

Do you mean if you hyphenbate you name on other documents, such as SSN, passport, driver license? Yes, those documents and a marriage certificate will generally prove you are one and the same.

Judith

promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it's associated sites. You are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed in this public forum.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I asked ;
'Also, if I hyphenate my last name (maiden-husband's) would that show that I am the person who had the maiden name shown on my old card?'
You answered:
'Do you mean if you hyphenbate you name on other documents, such as SSN, passport, driver license? Yes, those documents and a marriage certificate will generally prove you are one and the same.'

What I am asking is, if I get married and change my legal name to 'my last name - his last name' on driver's license, passport, SSN, can I just use my old green card with only my old name on it, or do I have to pay to have the married name on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have an old i-151 card.

This is directly from immigtration:

Green Card Replacement Program

All old I-151 Cards Expire March 20, 1996

Permanent resident aliens with an old Form I-151 Green Card, issued
before 1979, must obtain a new card, Form I-551 Alien Registration Receipt
Card, to maintain evidence of resident status. The old Form I-151 will no
longer be valid after March 20, 1996.

The INS is urging those lawful permanent residents, who are in need of
the new card and have not yet applied, to do so as soon as possible to
avoid any possible confusion about their legal permanent resident status
after March 20, 1996.

Expert:  Judith replied 4 years ago.

There is no rule that requires cards issued between 1979-1988 to be replaced. If your card was issued prior to 1979, those cards were recalled.

My apologies, I should have asked you your date of issue. There was a great deal of publicity when that rule became effective and most people complied. I had just assumed your card was issued between 79-88.

If you change all your legal documents to your husband's new name only then you would have to replace your card. Since you have to replace it anyway if it was issued pre-1979, it has to be replaced.

Judith

Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: 34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.