Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Ive been asked to co-sponsor an immigrant and I am in no relation

I've been asked to co-sponsor an immigrant and I am in no relation to this person., If I agree to co-sponsor, how long will I be liable for the immigrants financial responsibilities?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
A period of 10 years or until the person becomes a U.S. Citizen. Also, divorce on the part of the immigrant does not release you from liability. But, this does not mean that you have to pay for them to live or support them. This means that IF they use any means-tested public benefit like welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, etc., then you would have to pay the government back for the value of what they use. If they don't use anything, you don't have to pay anything back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you so much, your feed back is very precise and am very satisfied with your answer. Thank you for the prompt response.