Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

What reasons can a 10 year green card be revoked other than

What reasons can a 10 year green card be revoked other than a sham marriage and how do you go about having it revoked? If the spouse finds out after someone has had there green card for 2 years that it was a sham marriage can the card be revoked? Will the wife face charges also? If your green card is revoked and you status prior to that was illegal will you be deported? If you filed an affidavit of support for someone and the withdraw it after they have had there green card for 23 months what happens to that person?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

These are the main reasons that a green card status can be lost:

1) Sham marriage - must be proof that the only reason for the marriage was a green card. It can be ONE of the reasons, it just can't be the ONLY reason.

2) The Resident commits some crime that makes them deportable.

3) It is proven that the Resident committed some fraud in order to obtain the Residency.

4) It is discovered that the Resident could not have obtained the benefit because of some issue in their background such as having committed a crime in the past that was not disclosed (this is similar to #3), or that the Resident obtained the Residency through marriage to a U.S. Citizen but it turns out that they were married before and that original marriage was not terminated properly and this they would not legally marry the U.S. Citizen.

5) Abandonment of the status because they are outside of the U.S. for too long (180 days or more within a year).

And unfortunately, you are not allowed to withdraw your Affidavit of Support once the status has been granted.

Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.