Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

how to get green card if i have B1 and B2 visa

Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Are you currently inside the U.S.?

If so, have you overstayed?

If you have overstayed, how long have you overstayed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i am currently inside the USA but i work on the off shore drilling platform in brazil. My B1/B2 wisa is valid from 2008 to 2013. I have mulltiple entries to usa during this past time. I would like to request green card. i worked for these oil companies and i am highly skilled drilling worker needed for the kind of job i am performing righr now. i work for major US oil drilling company.

There are 5 ways to come to the U.S. to live permanently. They are through family, through employment, through asylum, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through asylum, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or if you want a temporary visa, probably at least $100,000 or $200,000 investment to start.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Now what I think would be your best bet at this point would be to have your current employer to get you an L-1B visa and transfer you to the U.S. Then apply for a green card through that employment (which will take a number of years, unfortunately).

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.