Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

i surrendered my green card, how do i reinstate it.

You mean that you abandoned it because you have lived outside of the U.S. for too long a time?

Did you ever file for an I-131 re-entry permit?

And how long ago did you surrended your card?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

You mean that you abandoned it because you have lived outside of the U.S. for too long a time? no i gave it back

Did you ever file for an I-131 re-entry permit? no

And how long ago did you surrended your card?1997

So you are currently outside of the U.S. at the moment?

How did you obtain that Residency originally? Marriage to a U.S. Citizen, for example? Employment? Parents?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
amnesty program 1986-7 i work on a farm

But you are inside the U.S.?

I don't understand why you would surrender your green card if you have never left the U.S.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
left usa in 1994 but can only come into usa by applying for a visa. which they usually issue visa for only 3-6 months with single or multiple entries. i have entered the us several times but by obtaining a visa

Ok. I understand now, but unfortunately, there is no way to reinstate that old green card. You have to go now by the ways that are available to get it. There are 5 ways to come to the U.S. to live permanently. They are through family, through employment, through asylum, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through asylum, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

I am truly sorry, but your choices are very limited.