Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

Waiting Period for I-130 Petition for Sibling If my priority

Waiting Period for I-130 Petition for Sibling: If my priority date is November 2006 and the current priority dates (posted on the visa bulletin) are June 1999, do I have about 7 years of waiting time or is the waiting time much longer than that due to a "backlog" as claimed by some? Here is a lawyer that claims that the waiting period is much longer than simply the time difference between the current priority date posted on the visa bulletin and the applicant's priority date: He claims that this person whose priority date is 2001 has to wait 10 more years even though the current priority date is 1998, which is only 3 years away from 2001. This does not make sense to me. The current priority date progresses by about a year every year. So how can someone who has 3 years for priority date to become current, have 10 years more to wait?

I do not think that he is 100% accurate. A rough estimate would be about 7 years. He is assuming that each year there will be more applicants than the year before, not less. But the reality is that it fluctuates. It does depend on how many applicants filed in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006, in your case. Really the only way for you to have a closer estimate is to go through each old Visa Bulletin and see how the priority dates change each month. Here is a link: