Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

how long will a petition for adult children take by a citizen

Customer Question

how long will a petition for adult children take by a citizen parent
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Rebecca White replied 4 years ago.
<p>You will want to review the Visa Bulletin - take a look over the past six months or so of bulletins, to get a good idea of timing.</p><p> </p><p>The link is: <a href="http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html">http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html</a>.</p><p> </p><p>The filing of the I-130 is a fairly simple process, and the date it is filed is the "priority date."</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just answer my question i can do that myself ,it does not tell me anything
That tells you exactly what you need to know. Depending upon whether the adult child is married or not, they will be either first or 3rd preference. You then need to look at what country the adult child was born in, and from there you can get as close to an accurate guess as is possible as to how long it will be for a visa to become available.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you are lazy that why you cant answer my and i will block you right now

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

You opted the other lawyer out. They can no longer respond to you. That was really rather rude. You could have asked follow-up questions. Most of the time, when we see a rude customer, no other attorney would bother with the question because you could just as easily be rude to the other attorney and at the end, you are the one that decides if you accept our answers and we only get paid if you accept. So the chances of you not accepting are high which means we would be working for free and no one really likes to work for free.

I understand that you may have had a reason to react how you did, but your first response was pretty rude and it got worse from there. You could have just been nice and saved yourself some aggravation. I'll stop being a parent and I'll be an attorney now. I will take the chance that you will not be rude with me and I will try to help you. But if you are rude with me, I will just move on to another question and it will be your loss. You can always ask for a refund if you like.

So I will ask you a few questions to then try to find your answer for you.

What country is the beneficiary from? The beneficiary is the person that would be getting the Residency status.

Are the adults over 21 of a U.S. Citizen married or unmarried?

Also, when exactly was the I-130 petition filed or will it be filed soon?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a us citizen father two weeks a go petition for his three unmarried adult daughters ,from sierra leone. how long will their process take

That would be 1st preference category. The date on the current visa bulletin is 22JUL03. This means that I-130 petitions that were filed on or before July 22, 2003 can now be used to get Residency status.

So if the father filed a few weeks ago, the entire process will take about 5 or 6 years before a visa is available to them so that they can get their Residency status.

I hope this answers your question. I know it probably isn't the news you want to hear, but it is the truth.

Is there anything else that I can do for you? If not, please do not forget to click accept. You are not charged again and we can continue communicating if you have any follow-up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what if the father is retired and his only income is ss and he recives food stamp

That's a seperate issue that doesn't really have to do with the processing time of the visa. What happens is that when the visa does become available about 5 or 6 years from now, he will have to file an Affidavit of Support for each of the daughters. That is done on form I-864. If he does not meet the minimum income requirements, then he will need to find a joint sponsor which will also file an I-864 and supporting evidence such as taxes, paycheck stubs, employment letter, etc. So the father must still file all of that and then the joint sponsor also files all of that. A joint sponsor is for only the financial aspect of the process. The Affidavit of Support is to guarantee to the U.S. government that they will not become a public charge. It doesn't mean that the person signing the I-864 is responsible for all their finances, needs, etc. It mainly means that if the immigrant used public benefits like welfare, medicaid, foodstamps, the financial sponsor may have to pay the government back for those services.

And just for your information, a joint sponsor can be any U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident that is over the age of 18 and can meet the income requirements. It does not have to be a family member nor a household member.

Experience: 10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.