Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

my driver license has a temp visitor exp date which is much

my driver license has a "temp visitor exp" date which is much earlier than the expiry date on it. which is legally the expiry date?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

You got a drivers license by showing your legal status in the U.S.?

What is that legal status and when does that legal status expire?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HIB expires on 10-01-09. But applied for extension 2 months back and legally allowed to stay and work till I get any result.
The legal expiration date on the drivers license is 10/01/09. They did this on purpose to reflect that your H1B was also until 10/01/09. So you will need to apply for a new drivers license hopefully when your H1B is extended. If you do not have that before 10/01/09, you can try taking a copy of your USCIS receipt from the properly filed extension, but there is no guarantee that they will give it to you. USCIS cannot dictate to the different states when they can and when they cannot issue a drivers license. That is up to them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will be accepting your answer , but is there any link or material related to this which can prove what you are saying and can you provide that to me. I always believed that "Temp Visitor" was just a mark on the driver license to prevent people from using it as a primary identification after their expiration and it has no whatsoever bearing on the license. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I'm a Florida attorney and I am not familiar with the laws in New York, but I am 100% sure that Immigration does not dictate to the states what they can do as far as issuing drivers licenses.

But you know that it makes sense since the date they put as your true expiration is the date that your original H1B expires. You are looking for a way around it, but there really isn't. As I said, you can try to take a copy of your H1B extension receipt and see if they will give you more time on your drivers license. That is about the best you can do, or you can hope that your H1B extension is approved before 10/01/09.