How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BizMatters Your Own Question
BizMatters, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1132
Experience:  JD -NYS Bar
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
BizMatters is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our visa is expiring in 4 weeks and we do not have proper marriage

This answer was rated:

Our visa is expiring in 4 weeks and we do not have proper marriage certification. Applied for SSN today and it will take 10 days to come what are my options?

Dear X453,


thanks for your question.


Two forms of ID. I understand your situation.


The problem is, a SSN is not required for non-u.s. citizens.


I do not know which township you are trying to get the license, but your birth certificate and passport should be sufficient in most NJ townships.


You can go to vegas to get married.





Customer: replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for looking at my answer but I have already mentioned that I do not have birthcertificate for my wife. We are in Middletown, NJ (07748) area.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for looking at my answer but I have already mentioned that I do not have birthcertificate for my wife. We are in Middletown, NJ (07748) area.

Dear x453,


Thank you for getting back to me.


Ok so you are the U.S. Citizen, and your wife is from what country?


Does you wife have a passport?


What is her country of origin?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.



Sorry for lot of confusion. Let me give you details of my case:

I have L1-B visa which has no issues for extension. My wife has L2 and we need to file for his extension for which Marriage certificate is one of mandatory document. We do not have any legal marriage certificate as our marriage was not registered and only done by our religous custom. I was trying to get marriage license from USA which is requiring two form of ID for her. Now she has passport but does not have birth certificate. We applied for State non-driver id but needed rejection latter from SSN office. When we revisited SSN office they did not reject her application and now we need to wait for next 10 days.


What we provided to SSN office as evidence of marriage was the receipt of application for marriage certificate submitted to local authority in our country. And one affidavite for name change for her after marriage (which we never submitted due to other issues). Will this document be accepted as proof by Immegration department? The receipt of application has her name changed (as it should be after marriage) which differes from her passport name.

The immigration department will accept the evidence you provide, as that shows intention; however they will most likely not approve based on the intent, and will send out an RFE asking for the approved documents.


The way your first question read, I got the idea that you needed to get the marriage Certificate before 10 days (before her L2 expired).


All you and she need for legal marriage and marriage certificate in VEgas, is your passports. So you can go to Vegas to get married there, to get a marraige certificate.


One other strategy is to send what documentation you have to get an extension of the L-2 now, with as much evidence as you have. She can legally remain here until a decision is made on her case. This would buy you the time you need to complete the process. The problem I have with this scenario, is that she already has the L2; and if you send information about a pending marriage, it may appear to immigration that the marriage is for immigratin purposes and they may question her L2 to begin with.


I would rather see you get married first, then apply for the extension of the L-2. This means going to Vegas.

BizMatters and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very much for your reply. We can not go to vegas due to some other medical reasons but and this seems to answering my case.

Dear X4,


Thank you very much. I am sorry about not being able to go to Vegas. This means you are locked into the alternative strategies.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, we will persure the Extension with what ever document we have as we have only 4 weeks left and usaually it takes some time to repare all documents. Trying to get Birth Certificate for my wife from native place so that we can do the marriage here next week.


Thank you very much for your help, your answer was perfect for our case.

Dear x453,


Thank you for your comments and feedback., Best of luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions