Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

LOOKING FOR AN EXAMPLE TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT

Customer Question

LOOKING FOR AN EXAMPLE TO WRITE A LETTER TO THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY TO PROVE "EXTREME HARDSHIP" BASED ON A) FAMILY B)ECONOMICAL C)HEALTH.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
It this for an I-601 waiver? That the person is outside of the U.S. and you are petitioning for them to be able to come back?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THE PERSON IS RESIDENT IN MEXICO, ON 6/22/2009 WAS INTERVIEW BY THE US CONSULATE AT CIUDAD JUAREZ MEX. AT THE TIME SHE WAS NOTIFIED OF THE LACK OF SUFFICIENT "EXTREME HARDSHIP " EVIDENCE. I-601 WAVER WAS ALREADY COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED WITH THE PACKAGE, BUT SHE WAS INFORMED OF THE LACK OF EVIDENCE TO PROVE EXTREME HARDSHIP.

A)SHE IS MY SISTER IN LAW, (LIVING IN TIJUANA MEX.)

B)MY BROTHER (HER HUSBAND) LIVES IN SAN DIEGO CO.

C) 2 KIDS US CITIZEN KIDS LIVING APART FROM MOM (18 YEARS, 15YEARS) SAN DIEGO CO.

D)ATTENDING SCHOOL IN SAN DIEGO CO.

EHUSBAND; MEDICAL ISSUES: DIABITIS .

F)ECONOMICAL; SUPPORTING WIFE LIVING EXPENSES IN MEXCO PLUS LIVING EXPENSES OF KIDS AND SELF PLUS RENTING EXPENSES TO KEEP THE TWO FAMILIES TOGETHER. PLUS MORE

Ok, the important thing to remember is that it is ONLY his (your brother's) hardship that counts. The hardship of the kids and the rest of the family does not count. So you have to focus only on his hardship. You can write about how their hardship would make his hardship worse, but it is still only his hardship that counts. It is not easy to do, I sometimes lapse into talking about the alien's hardship or other persons' hardship as well and I have to catch myself.

The best thing I can do for you is send to a couple of official government links that have information on the I-601 and even an outline that will help you write it, Where better to get that information than the source? The first is from the U.S. Embassy in Syria, but it is a good description and the process should be similar in all U.S. Embassies.

http://damascus.usembassy.gov/ina212.html

and here is another link:

http://ciudadjuarez.usconsulate.gov/hcis601.html

In the 2nd link you should find a link to a document that has the outline you need. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX HAVE ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT CAN BE USE TO WRITE THE LETTER, WHAT DOCUMENTS CAN BE SENT AS PROVE, OR EXAMPLE OF PRE APROVED LETTER PLEASE HELP ME. [email protected]
Just information on what his hardship would be, medical, financial, emotional, etc. They have to of course rise to the level of extreme, but maybe a combination of all those things together would rise to the level of extreme. Documents that can be used to prove those things would be medical reports, psychological reports, financials statements, letter from the employer, for example, that he has to work full-time and would not have time to care for the children, etc. etc.