Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

How long does a process of appeal from BIA take I granted asylum

Customer Question

How long does a process of appeal from BIA take?I granted asylum but DHS sent an appeal to BIA.It was 6 monthes ago.Thank you
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
It will probably take an additional 3 to 6 months or more. And that's usually after briefs are filed. So if you haven't filed briefs yet, it will probably be longer than 3 to 6 months. At first you only file a Notice of Appeal (well, DHS did). Then later the BIA tells DHS that they have like 20 days to submit a brief with a copy to you, then you have about 20 days after that to respond to their brief, then you wait the 3 to 6 months or so for a decision.