How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Rebecca White Your Own Question

Rebecca White
Rebecca White, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 773
Experience:  Experienced immigration attorney.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Rebecca White is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to invite my father and mother in law to visit me and

Customer Question

I want to invite my father and mother in law to visit me and my wife and my two month old daughter. I am a us citizen and my wife is a permanent resident . I sent them a letter of invitation with out financial statements, we only make 38k per year. they went to the us embasy in Lima, Peru twice. the visa was denied. they were told the second time to try on their own. But we do not know why they were denied the visa. what can we do to guaranty an invitation visa to them.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Rebecca White replied 6 years ago.

The concern may well be that as the parents of a US citizen they are immediate relatives and could apply for greencards. The consulate may be concerned that they would enter as visitors and then stay to apply for their greencards from within the US instead of through the consulate.


If your family owns their home in Peru, or has a business or employment that they would need to return to, that would be important to show to the consulate. Also, if they have younger children still in their care, or if they have other grandchildren in Peru that they care for, that would be another substantial reason to show that they would return to Peru after the visit.


The 38,000 is likely sufficient - they are not looking to see if you are wealthy, only that your parents would not need to engage in unauthorized employment during their visit to support themselves.


Would your parents have any of the above items to show to the consulate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my wife is their dauther and she is not a US citizen, she is permanent resident. I am a us citizen and they are my father and mother in law. They have a 2000 toyota corolla, they rent a house but with in a year they will be purchasing a condominion. Also my father in law is a self employed he is construction master electrician and plumer he used to file taxes two years ago. could their age help them qualify????? my father in law is 64 years old my mother in law is 51 years old. could a pension from as help them???????? we send them money every month. could they get someone to help them in Peru to get any of the above requierements. Are there more alternatives ????? Please help. thank you so much
Expert:  Rebecca White replied 6 years ago.

Oh - ok. That your wife is not yet a citizen should lessen the concern that they may apply for a greencard while they are in the US as visitors. They should bring in proof of everything they can, but, unfortunately, the grant of a visitor visa is descretionary and can be denied for fairly arbitrary reasons. The more they can show in terms of home country ties the better. I would not focus on their age unless they are about to or do qualify for benefits if they remain in Peru that they would not otherwise qualify for - anything to show that it is in their own self interest to return to Peru and not overstay a visitor visa.


You may also want to be clear that they would not be intended as babysitters while here - just meeting the grandchildren.


I wish I could tell you more to help with this. The only other alternative to a denied visitor visa is to look to other options - such as your wife naturalizing and filing for their greencards. Obviously there is an irony there - that in doing so she could get them in to the country, but that would require their showing an ability and desire to remain in the US, rather than the desire and reason to return to Peru required by the visitor visa.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in any case would it help if my wife and i go in person to the US embasy in Lima Peru.
Expert:  Rebecca White replied 6 years ago.
No, I do not think that would be helpful, unless you feel that there is a communication issue occuring. A strong focus on documentation of their ties to Peru and their reasons to return after a short term visit will be more effective.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Wilton A. Person

    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
< Last | Next >
  • Wilton A. Person's Avatar

    Wilton A. Person

    Immigration Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice in several areas, including immigration
  • Jennifer Marie, Esq.'s Avatar

    Jennifer Marie, Esq.

    Immigration Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    My law firm practices immigration law.
  • Gintare Grigaite's Avatar

    Gintare Grigaite

    Immigration Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Expert Immigration Attorney
  • TheLeadCounsel's Avatar


    Immigration Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Immigration and Naturalization
  • Charlotte E. Viener, Esq.'s Avatar

    Charlotte E. Viener, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10+ years handling all aspects of Immigration Law.

Related Immigration Law Questions