wjbanks, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  8 years practice experience, published in State Bar Journal

My boyfriend lives in Canada and I live in USA. He has a very

Customer Question

My boyfriend lives in Canada and I live in USA. He has a very good job in Canada working at a work camp. He normally works about a month then gets a week or so off. We would like to be together and possibly get married but we want him to be able to keep his job and just live here on his off times. It would never be more than the alloted 6 months at a time that he would be here. Is there a limit as to how many times he can visit the USA? Can we be married and still live in different countries? Also, he has a DUI conviction on his record, will that interefere with him visiting the USA from Canada?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  wjbanks replied 8 years ago.

There is no limit as to how many times he can visit the US as a visa exempt Canadian tourist. He should be mindful of the time though and not spend an aggregate of more than 6 months in the US in any given year. There is no prohibition to you being married and living in different countries.

A DUI offense should not cause any problems for him visiting as long as he didn't kill anybody and has handled everything attendant to the arrest (i.e. paid court costs, completed probation, etc.). As a visitor, it likely would not even arise in his border crossing unless he starts overstaying his 6 month stays. Even so, DUI without vehicular manslaughter is not an inadmissible offense.

Good luck!