Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

ho do i write a support letter on a frend who is ...

Customer Question

ho do i write a support letter on a frend who is trying to become a resident by his spouse that is a citizen Please give me an example
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

I assume you are either writing a character reference letter or a letter that attests to you knowledge that the marriage that your friend has entered into is a valid one not entered into for the purposes of obtaining an immigration benefit.

In either case, you will want to start off with "Dear CIS Officer:" You will want to put your name, your address, your status in the U.S. and how you know your friend and how long you have known your friend. You may want to add a photocopy of your drivers license to that the immigration officer reading the letter knows you are a real person.

If it is a good character letter, state the reasons why you believe your friend has good moral character. If you can, give specific examples.

If it is a letter about the marriage, explain what reasons you have to believe it is a real marriage. Do you go double dating? Do you hear them fighting? etc. etc. Again, try to give specific examples.

The more specific and detailed the letter, the better. Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to GSenmartin's Post: can i also put that they actually got married to be together and not be apart, and also that their child will probably lower down his grades in school due that he misses his dad.

You can if you like. Try to put things that are facts first, things that you have seen with your own eyes. Then after, you can put your opinions based upon the facts that you listed.

Please don't forget to ACCEPT the answer or I don't get paid. And please leave some feedback if you found that I was helpful.