Greg
Greg, import technician
Experience:  27 year and 16 year as shop owner, import technician
29331485

2009 Santa Fe, running rough, interment clunking noise

Customer Question

2009 Santa Fe, running rough, interment clunking noise around engine, engine check light flashes sometimes.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it's been on for years, fuel sensor flaw, it has recently started to blink with engine trouble and noise, but not every time. I know it needs immediate attention but I'm scared local mechanics will randomly start dissecting and replacing everything, thanks
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Possibly, so far only research and fluid checks.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I fixed a "starter" issue once with a 11$ key ignition part. Hyundai wanted to replace some 700$ part before labor, and local shops planned to replace all sorts of stuff first that wasn't even broken. This sort of thing has happened a few time with this Santa Fe and makes it hard to trust the "pros". I'm an idiot that's been lucky a few times.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi .

Understand what you feel and think of many repair shop so what we are going to do is make you

let them know you know what is what on cars and that you are very informed .

So lets start with the check engine light !! Even though you said been on for a long time for a fuel sensor level issue

but if anything else fails a code is going to be added.

Now the light is flashing which is a misfire indication, so you are going to have misfire codes like a possible P0300 p0301 to P0304 or 06 if you have a 6 cylinder and to 4 if 4 cylinder engine .

So lets start first with getting the codes read ,this you can go to AutoZone and have a free code read out done .

From the codes the tech will let you know what they mean and what you can do .(there want to sell you parts)

Now whhen you have the codes and meanings you are now armed to do this your self or go to the shop and explain that you know what the problem is and what they suggest you to do.

Or you can get back to me with the codes and i will advice you .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..