Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

It won't start and is giving off codes P0820 and P0430, I

Customer Question

it won't start and is giving off codes P0820 and P0430
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I have and the battery is working fine it probably could use some cleaning but everything else turns on in the car with regard to the electrical. But the RPM is not read in the car either
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2005 XG350
JA: Are you fixing your XG350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So I have put on a new starter about 60 days ago and it was fine until about a week ago when it starting having a delayed start after two attempts and some time more
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not fixing it myself but researching
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 days ago.

Just to be clear, is the engine cranking and not starting or no cranking at all?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It does not crank. I think it also needs a motor mount replaced. It will start when it wants to. It kind of just has a clicking noise other than nothing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 days ago.

I see, is it a rapid clicking noise or a single click each time you turn the key?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
A single click
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 days ago.

Ok

Most of the time a single click when you turn the key indicates a starter issue. Eventually it will likely get to the point where it won't start at all. This single click is sort of a warning that the starter is failing.
​As for the codes, P0430 is for the bank 1 catalytic converter and won't cause this and the other code I wasn't able to find. I will say this as well, if your tach isn't working when the car is running, then you likely have a problem with the ignition fail sensor. Again, this won't keep the starter from turning, but it will or can cause the engine to stop running.
Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!