Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Had to boost my 2012 tucson 3 times. replaced the

Customer Question

had to boost my 2012 tucson 3 times. replaced the alternator. then replaced the battery! woke up on a cold morning 2 days ago and put a tester on the batt and it read 12.5 volts. wouldn't start! when I tried to boost it - nothing. finally after a 10 try's it started
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I have but they are totally clean and tight. Battery is reading 12.5 volts
JA: Are you fixing your Tucson yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: as I said - new alt, new batt - all cables tight
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 5 months ago.

Hello, when your Tucson didn't start was it cranking over and not starting, or were you hearing a single click and it was not even trying to start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No cranking over. No click. 12.5 on volt meter
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was very cold when this happens.

Alright, it sounds to me like the starter solenoid is sticking and that is why you are not able to start the vehicle. Basically the solenoid is a plunger inside of a tube, and it can get stuck once it is worn which will cause nothing to happen when you try to start the vehicle, even if you have good voltage. It probably happens more when it is cold because all of the metal is contracting and it would be harder for it to move anyway. I would recommend replacing the starter and seeing if the issue returns.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating 3 stars or higher, or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Andrew, I appreciate your answer but I don't know if it going to work until I replace the starter. The problem is that's it's been slightly warmer ( I live in Ontario so not much warmer) but now it starts everyday. If it does it again in the next few days that starter will be replaced thanks to your suggestion. No problem with rating you then sir! That ok?

Sounds good, good luck.