Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

I own a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. It suddenly does not produce

Customer Question

I own a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. It suddenly does not produce heat when I turn the heater on. It blows great but no heat. Is this most likely a thermostat problem? Is this expensive?
Thanks for any response or help you can give me.
Eddie Howard Bacon (###) ###-####
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Eddie! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Under the hood, in the passenger's rear corner of the engine compartment, there are 2 hoses going into the firewall- are both of these hoses hot to the touch?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry but I have not had the car running today. I will have to start it in order to answer your question. Should the hoses heat up right away?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Give me one sec to type out your answer Eddie. I'm going to try and give as much insight as I can here. Be right back...

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for holding.

Those heater hoses should get warmer as the engine gets to normal operating temps. Once at normal temp, those hoses should be good and warm. If not, suspect the Thermostat. The thermosstat sells for around $23 and the Labor Time Guide calls for a half-hour to replace.

If both hoses are warm, then the cooling system should be flushed to eliminate a clogged heater core (pries vary for this service, roughly $65-$95). If the core is flushed and still no heat, more commonly, this is a faulty Temp Door actuator. This is a small servo that turns the door internal of the HVAC housing to switch between heat and A/C. The actuator sells for around $65 and the Labor Time Guide calls for a little over a half-hour to replace.

Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour.

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hi Eddie! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Any other questions you had on this? Any other info I can provide to better assist?