peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

It won't start after running out of gas, It turns over but

Customer Question

It won't start after running out of gas
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: It turns over but won't like go
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: Just starts and dies
JA: What year is your Hyundai?
Customer: 2013 elantra
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put more gas in it and then turned it over several times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Left it overnight
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you hear a hum or buzz noise from the fuel tank area at all when you first turn on the key or try and crank over the engine?It may take a second person to listen to the tank area.

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't hear any of that
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is turning over lights all come on but it won't stay going just dies

One of the biggest issues when run out of fuel is the fuel pump works harder when low on fuel and when sucking in air and fuel when at empty this can lead to the pump itself burning out unfortunately.You should hear a hum or buzz noise coming from the tank area and if you do not hear this then this can indicate the pump itself has burned out needing replaced.

I would have the power and ground signal tested to the pump to make sure these are present, most likely they are.If there is correct power and ground then the fuel pressure needs tested with a fuel pressure test gauge to see if there is low or no fuel pressure.A faulty fuel pump will cause low or no fuel pressure and will need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete