Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Long story short... Engine seized at 133,000mi. I put a

Customer Question

Long story short... Engine seized at 133,000mi. I put a new(used) engine in it and now trans won't shift into gear. I just replaced speed sensors and inner harness with official hyundai parts but didn't fix the issue, even though it was checked at the dealership and that's what they said it would fix it.
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: I don't know about the magnet, so no I haven't checked it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2011 sonata gls 2.4l
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am. The dealer did diagnostic check and told me the speed sensors and harness would fix it. I've check fuses, connections and all I can think of.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The gear shift has to be manually unlocked. If it matters
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 3 months ago.

Hello, is the actual shifter not moving or is the transmission not engaging when you put it in gear? Any diagnostic codes present?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not getting any codes. Gear shifter moves and the rpms go up like I put it into gear. But no reaction from trans.
The brake lock for the shifter just isn't working right. I have to push a screwdriver in to release it
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input to my questions to help you better. I read your question and have a question before we start. You said you have to push the shift lock over ride button to shift out of park is that right? Did you check to see if you have brake lights?

Just checking in to see how your doing as you never replied back to me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the brake lights work just fine.

If the brake light works then you will have to get to the shift lock solenoid and check for power there when you step on the brake. I f you have power there then replace to solenoid.