George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I replaced spark plugs and wire in 2003 2.3L Santa Fe and

Customer Question

I replaced spark plugs and wire in 2003 2.3L Santa Fe and replaced both valve cover gaskets but after reassembly the engine runs for a second or two and dies. I have checked and rechecked the wiring diagram many times and am sure the spark plug wires are connected to the correct coils.
JA: Does the vehicle have a carburetor?
Customer: Fuel inj
JA: Are you fixing your Santa Fe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Doing it myself. Have rechecked all hoses, connectors and have found no air leaks at the plenum
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else to report, i thi
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so Ian help you better. read your question and wondering if you left something disconnected . Do you hear anything like air sucking?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sounds of air sucking. All vacuum hoses are connected and all sensor connectors are tight. Spark plug wires are firmly seated at both ends
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that your complete answer?

No just trying to cover all basis as I am not there to actually see or hear it I depend on your input so I can properly narrow it down, If your not happy with my process I can opt out for anpther to help you. What's your wish?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sounds of air sucking. All vacuum hoses are connected and all sensor connectors are tight. Spark plug wires are firmly seated at both ends.

Have you checked for any recent codes ? are you in a shop doing this or at home? What we need to do is determine if it's fuel or electrical.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Home. I got a code but don't recall the number. It was MAF sensor-Low Voltage. I swapped the MAF sensor with a known good one off of my other 2.7L Sonata. There was no change in the symptoms

Ok like I said we have to determine if its fuel or electrical Can you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the pressure drops? Can you get a can of quick start and see if you can make it run any longer with a couple shots into the intake. Also check to see if you by accident didn't disturb any cam sensors or their connections.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try those things and get back with you tomorrow afternoon. I'll have to borrow the scan tool from work and pick up a loaner fuel pressure gauge set from the parts store. I'll check the cam sensors and try some starting fluid.

This would be good that would narrow things down.