George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I have a 2009 Sonata that won't start. I think it could be a

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2009 Sonata that won't start. I think it could be a security issue rather than a dead battery because the security symbol is blinking, a blue ring around the ignition is blinking and clicking and the system won't allow me to open the trunk either with the manual release button in the car.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I have jumped a battery before but I haven't checked the voltage. I thought this might be the faster thing to check.
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I called Hyundai and they weren't able to ID a suggestion. Another webpage suggested I detach the negative lead of the battery for 30 seconds, lock and unlock doors then retry ignition. I was about to try that when your window popped up.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  david craig replied 17 days ago.

Hi Im David. it appear the transponder ring isnt recognizing the key. do you have a spare key?

Expert:  david craig replied 16 days ago.

hello???????