Amedee
Amedee, Hyundai Technician
Experience:  ASE Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2006 Hyundia Elantra won't start first thing in the

Customer Question

My 2006 Hyundia Elantra won't start first thing in the morning. It's a stick, and after that initial push start, it will start and function normally. Any ideas of what it could be?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: They do not appear to be corroded, but it's been a few weeks since I've looked at the battery. Also, everything else seems to function normally, such as the radio, which I turn off for that first start now.
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: If it's not too technical, then yes, I will try to fix myself. I haven't try anything else, yet. This is a relatively new issue. Started last week.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's the only problem I'm having with vehicle. Thanks
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

When this happens, does the engine crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The engine does not crank.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I do notice it'll make a slight hum sound that I typically don't notice when it starts normally.
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for that information.

You might just have a bad starter. This is what happens when the starter motor starts to go bad. It will work intermittantly like you are describing.

Have you checked for power to the starter when this happens? If not, this is your next step.

If there is no power to the starter when this happens, we will need to pull a wiring diagram of the starting circuit and check voltage at certain places in the starting circuit. The clutch switch could be at fault, the ignition switch or anything else in the starting circuit could be preventing the engine from cranking over.

If there is power to the starter when this happens, the starter is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
That would make sense, but why only in the morning for that first start? Wouldn't a failing starter be more random?
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

The starter can go bad in many different ways. Tempature is a huge factor in electronics and how electrical compnents work so it would make sense that it may only act up under "certain conditions". But that is why it is important to check for power at the starter when this occurs. This will rule out any wiring issue or anything in the starting circuit causing this problem.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No, thank you
Expert:  Amedee replied 20 days ago.

.