Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

This code P2110-Throttle control came up, When I accelerate

Customer Question

Hello This code P2110-Throttle control came up
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: When I accelerate it takes off sluggish...then when I release the gas and press down again it drives normal.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2007 Hyundai Sonata
JA: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: P2110 and P0642 codes came up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check Engine light goes off and on
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

this the trouble shoot for P0642 , you need to have this fixed first and then retest and see if the P2110 comes back because the DTC P0642 could be causing the P2110 .

I have sent 3 diagrams that shows you the circuit for the APS(accelerator position 2 ) ( usually the Throttle body is the issue but testing is needed to confirm

DTC P0642 SENSOR REFERENCE VOLTAGE "A" CIRCUIT LOW

GENERAL DESCRIPTION The ECM provides a 5 volt reference voltage to the Acceleration Position Sensor2 (APS 2), A/C pressure sensor and power steering sensor. The ECM monitors reference voltage deviation from the power supply circuit of the sensors DTC DESCRIPTION ECM sets DTC P0642 if the ECM detects reference voltage lower than threshold value.

POWER CIRCUIT INSPECTION 1. Ignition "OFF". 2. Disconnect APS 2 harness connector. 3. Ignition "ON" & Engine "OFF". 4. Measure voltage between terminal 1 of the APS 2 harness connector and chassis ground. Specification : Approx. 5 V 5. Is voltage within the specification? YES - Go to next step as below NO - Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure TERMINAL AND CONNECTOR INSPECTION 1. Many malfunctions in the electrical system are caused by poor harness(es) and terminals. Faults can also be caused by interference from other electrical systems, and mechanical or chemical damage. 2. Thoroughly check connectors for looseness, poor connection, bending, corrosion, contamination, deterioration, or damage. 3. Has a problem been found? YES - Repair as necessary and go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure NO - Check ECM for contamination, deterioration, or damage. Substitute with a known-good ECM and check for proper operation. If the problem is corrected, replace ECM and then go to "Verification of Vehicle Repair" procedure. NOTE: It is necessary to perform the TPS adaptation procedure with Scan tool when the throttle body assembly or ECM is replaced. - TPS adaptation procedure 1. Erase previous TPS adaptation value using Scan tool. 2. Ignition "OFF" and then "ON" without cranking. Wait for 10 seconds under enable conditions - Enable conditions : Battery 10 V & Intake Air Temp. 5.3 °C(41.5 °F) & 5.3 °C(41.5 °F) Engine Coolant Temp. 99.8 °C(211.6 °F) 3. After TPS adaptation, the system normality should be confirmed by reading out "FMY" on the Scan Tool. VERIFICATION OF VEHICLE REPAIR After a repair, it is essential to verify that the fault has been corrected. 1. Connect scan tool and select "Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)" mode. 2. Press F4 (DTAL) and confirm that "DTC Readiness Flag" indicates "Complete". If not, drive the vehicle within conditions noted in the freeze frame data or enable conditions. 3. Read "DTC Status" parameter. 4. Is parameter displayed "History (Not Present) fault"? YES - System performing to specification at this time. Clear the DTC NO - Go to the applicable troubleshooting procedure.

DTC P2110 THROTTLE ACTUATOR CONTROL MODULE PERFORMANCE GENERAL DESCRIPTION If a malfunction occurs in the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system, the ECM will control the engine from predetermined data stored in its memory or stop the engine if a safety problem is anticipated, as an Emergency Operation (Limp-Home) mode. The purpose of Limp-Home mode is to control the engine as close as possible to normal engine operation if a malfunction occurs. When the DTC related to ETC system is recorded by the ECM, then this DTC will be set. This DTC only indicates malfunction related to ETC system has occurred and engine is in Limp-Home mode. DO ALL REPAIRS associated malfunction with ETC system. DTC DESCRIPTION ECM sets DTC P2110 to indicate ETC system malfunction has occurred and engine is in Limp-Home mode. The ECM limits engine speed to 1500 rpm after setting the DTC, as an Emergency Operation (Limp-Home) mode.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
Chad Farhat

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Thank You
Chad Farhat