Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent and my belts squeal when I

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent and my belts squeal when I start and it is hard for me to turn the steering whee. My belts aren't old. When I went to the parts store. The guy said to purchase belts, he said I only have 2 belts for my car. So I really don't know what to do.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I believe the noise is coming from the air conditioning compressor pulley. I was told that since it looks rusted out to spray some knocker loose on it and that it would cost too much to replace the air conditioning compressor pulley. Even though the belts squeal in the winter time.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 Hyundai accent.
JA: Are you fixing your Accent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I had the belts (2) replaced. I even had my power steering pump replaced because at one time someone accidently put brake fluid in the power steering fill container.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if I need to get new belts even though the belts that are on is not even a year old and does not look worn or if I have to deal with this problem because the air conditioning compressor looks rusty.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

If the front of the A/C compressor looks rusty, the compressor front bearing has probably failed, and is the cause of your squealing belt and poor power steering.

The belt will squeal whether the A/C is on or not.

You could also have a power steering rack issue if it has been contaminated with brake fluid.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 29 days ago.

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It was the alternator. Had it replaced and everything is fine.
Expert:  Gary replied 28 days ago.

Ok, it must have had a bad front bearing, hence the rust you saw on the front of the compressor.

Glad all is good now.

Kind regards

Gary