peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

He ignition key won't turn in the ignition to start the car.

Customer Question

He ignition key won't turn in the ignition to start the car. Everything feels very tight, the shift won't shift even the brakes feel tight. I just drove the car into my garage last night and everything seemed fine then.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The steering wheel giggles a lit bit but won't turn. It is not damaged, it has been working fine up until now.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Two years ago Hyundai replaced the transmission while still under warranty.
JA: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I am not fixing the car myself. The only thing I tried this morning was to try and start it and see if I could shift it into neutral.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In some cases this fault here can be caused by a low/weak battery needing re charged and then tested to see if it needs replaced.You can also try a jump start.If it starts then,the battery should be tested to see if it needs replaced.

If the battery is found to be o.k. and a recharge or jump start does not work this can be a fault with the key head itself worn needing replaced (usually you can look at the key and see if it is worn) or a fault with the tumblers in the ignition cylinder binding up with the ignition cylinder needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete